Monday, July 4, 2011

It's Getting Purple...

There is just something about the color purple. It's a book, a movie, a whole rocky, rolly sensibility.


You can even groove on it if you are a sufficiently hip string quartet:


Sooner or later I'm going to do a post of catty, micro-reviews. If I were to do one on this arrangement it would read: "Jimi Hendrix mugged in a dark alley by Bela Bartok."

Then there is the Purple One himself:


Don't get me wrong, I like all this music. It's poignant, expressive and memorable. OK, sometimes I think Jimi Hendrix was a unique guitarist with brilliant flashes of inspiration surrounded by a morass of self-indulgence. And sometimes I wonder if string quartets don't try too hard sometimes to be cool. And sometimes I wonder about the way Prince dresses. But I like it all. It's all so ... purple.

No comments: