Sunday, May 6, 2018

A Wonderful Bach Cantata

Today has been productive, but not as far as blogging goes! I've been tinkering with a couple of pieces and reading some sections of the user manual for my music software. It is such a complex program that there is always stuff to learn. I've also been reading Sviatoslav Richter's memoirs and he reminds me of this absolutely magnificent cantata by Bach, the Cantata BWV 51,  "Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen," here performed by Lenneke Ruiten, Soprano; Javier Simó, Trumpet; Anka Smeu, Violin; Grigori Nedobora, Violin and the Real Filharmonia de Galicia conducted by Helmuth Rilling. What a fine job this soprano (and trumpet player as well) does!


Just the thing to listen to on Sunday.

2 comments:

Will Wilkin said...

Haven't heard any Bach cantatas this year but about 10 days ago I heard Masaaki Suzuki conduct the Mass in B minor, and the night before I heard David Hill conduct the Yale Schola Cantorum singing the St. John Passion as arranged by Robert Schumann --weird to hear a piano in it but actually was done very nice!. The same weekend I saw the Yale Baroque Opera do Francesco Cavalli's "L'Egisto." Such a contrast! The Cavalli was so light-hearted and theatrical while the Bach was so formal and intricate. I can't help but feel very lucky to live near Yale which nourishes my love of the baroque with diverse ensembles specializing in baroque music. Probably even in NYC you couldn't find Cavalli operas! But I did go into NYC a few days ago to hear the Heartbeat Opera company do a double-show of Don Giovanni and Fidelio! Regarding the original topic of your post, Bryan, Maestro Suzuki does conduct Bach cantatas some year, I've heard a few locally under his direction, always supremely beautiful.

Bryan Townsend said...

Wow, Will, you really are blessed. What an excellent series of concerts!